With how busy our lives get we often forget to sit back and truly spend time with our significant others, but let’s face it; we don’t always have the finances to be able to have a romantic hotel getaway. So let’s improvise, I am going to help you create a hotel getaway in the comfort of your home. In order to have a distraction free weekend you need to arrange for your kids to be somewhere else whether it’s at their grandparents, or a friend’s house. Do things together that you haven’t been able to do in a long time: lie in the backyard and gaze at the stars, take a hike, go on a bike ride, play golf or have a picnic in the park. Just make sure you and your spouse do one thing that each of you wants to do. This weekend is all about you two and your romantic hotel getaway at home. The most important thing to remember is to have fun and relax; it’s only a few days, so make the most of it.
1. Re-Creating Your Bedroom
- Bedding– Remove the bedding you always sleep on and put on some fresh new sheets preferably something soft and luxurious. Add more pillows to your bed; it will give it a cloud like feel. Make your bed as comfortable as possible.
- Candles– Set the mood with some romantic candle light, line the room with them, and also your bathroom tub, then take a nice relaxing bath together
- Massage oil– Purchase some massage oil and take turns giving each other massages.
2. Cleaning the House
- Taking down pictures of kids– This weekend is about you two, so take down any pictures of the kids or close their bedroom doors. You want it to be relaxing and sometimes kids are not… So do yourself a favor and try to keep thinking about the kids to a minimal amount.
- Make it neat– You want to make your house feel like you are getting away to a hotel. So pick up around the house and make sure it is clean before you start your weekend. You don’t want to worry about house duties when you are trying to relax.
3. Fun Items
- Favorite beverages– Purchase a bottle of champagne/wine, or items to make your favorite cocktail, or a case of beer.
- Ice Bucket –Keep an ice bucket or cooler in the bedroom to keep your beverages cool and easily accessible.
- Extra Pillows– As I said before you want to make your bed as comfortable as you can. Adding some extra pillows to your bed to give you the ultimate comfort and that will make you not want to get out of bed.
- Music source– Set the mood with some smooth music with an IPod docking station or radio.
- Rose Petals – Rose petals are always good to set a romantic theme for the night. So lay some rose petals on the ground, on the bed, even in the bath water.
- Wine Glasses – Along with the ice bucket you’re going to need some wine glasses.
- Bubble Bath – Every woman loves taking bubble baths, try taking a bath together. By including bubble bath and rose petals you set the ultra-romantic getaway.
4. Having a Plan
- What to not talk about– You and your spouse should set rules about; what not to talk about on your romantic-getaway. Typically good ones are: don’t talk about the kids, work, and family, or anything that creates stress. Focus on the two of you; it probably doesn’t happen very often so take advantage of it.
- Have a plan for the weekend – Depending on the type of person you are, planning may or may not be a good thing. It’s always good to have a basic idea of what you two want to do during your weekend. Try doing something your spouse wants to do but also do something that you like to do.
- Order In– If you want the full hotel experience order in. This is just like when you order room service. The point is to not have to cook. Unless you two enjoy cooking together than go for it, but order in and go out to eat as much as you can. If you eat in or make your own food its best to purchase paper plates and cups to eat and drink on, so you don’t have dishes to do. You want to do as little as you can around the house during your getaway.
Every relationship needs nurturing and lots of attention. Make your relationship healthy and take time for you and your spouse to have your own getaway, have a weekend to yourselves every once and a while. Once kids come into your lives everything gets so crazy, time flies by so quickly, and you’re busy all the time so you sometimes forget to focus on your relationship and it starts to slip through the cracks. Don’t let that happen; make your relationship the best that it can be.
Blog Author: Ali, Customer Service Rep:
She loves any kind of music the Colorado Rockies. She has been doing martial arts for 10 years now and also used to play softball and pitched. She has a pit bull and she is the best dog Ali’s ever had. She has two amazing siblings and the best parents ever.