We all like to try and better understand who we are. We look at our horoscopes and we take buzzfeed quizzes but is there another way to understand our personalities? Well, I say we can by taking a look at what sleep position we like.
1. Fetal Position/Side
The Fetal Position is the most common sleep position. Imagine you are a tiny baby curled up in your mother’s womb. That is what the fetal position is. Knees pushed up and laying on your side. A lot of people will bring their hands together and sleep like a snug little curled up ball. Sleep specialists believe that this is the healthiest sleep position. It is the best for people who suffer back pain because it causes the least amount of strain on the neck and back joints. The best pillow for this sleep position is a higher loft medium to firm support pillow to keep you neck and spine in alignment while sleeping on your side.
* Personality traits for people who sleep in a Fetal Position are said to have a tough on the outside, but be a softy on the inside. Someone who might seem shy when you first meet them but open up easily and actually love to be social. Side sleepers tend to be high energy people with active hobbies.
2. The Back Sleeper
The Back Sleeper Position is most commonly done in two ways. 1. The Sleepy Soldier, where your hands are straight down to your side and legs straight. With the right mattress and pillow this Sleepy Soldier Position can be the best to keep your neck and back in alignment. The best pillow for this sleep position is a low loft medium support pillow.
* The Sleepy Soldier personality is strong, silent, and focused. They don’t like a lot of fuss. They typically love structure and are a type A personality. They are very caring but hold people accountable for their actions. The Sleepy Soldier Sleeper are very loyal and care deeply for their friends and family. They will go out of their way to help a loved one in need. Just don’t get on their bad side.
The 2nd most common Back Sleeper Position is the Shooting Star They typically have their hands above their head and one leg bent. They truly look like they don’t have a care in the world while they are sleeping. A great pillow for this sleep position is a low/medium loft pillow with a soft/medium support level. Regular Shape Pillow- Featured at Many IHG ® Hotels https://www.pillows.com/ihgregs.html
* People who sleep in the Shooting Star position have a style all their own. They are lovable and loyal. They like to be a shoulder to cry on and be available to help others in need. They make their friends and family a high priority. Don’t let their niceness fool you though. Just as they can fiercely love they can equally dislike those who wrong them. I bet that “mysterious” guy I liked in college was a Shooting Star sleeper…..
3. Stomach Sleeper
There are a few different ways to be a stomach sleeper. 1. The Yearner is half side sleeper and half stomach sleeper. Imagine you are on your side yet your top leg is bent over with your knee touching the mattress and your stomach slightly touching the bed. The best pillow for a Yearner is a low loft firm pillow.
* Studies show that people who like to sleep in the Yearner position are open and inviting. Probably like to be the center of attention. They can get a little suspicious of people and tend to be cynical. Yearners tend to be impulsive, quick to make decisions but rarely have regrets. The Yearner is the type of person who has a timeshare in Iceland and has a pet chameleon name Pascal just because Rapunzel had one. Can you tell yet that this is my sleep position?
2. The Free Fall sleeper love to sleep directly on their bellies with their arms to their sides or underneath their pillow. A great pillow for a Free Fall sleeper is a low loft soft pillow. Some may like a low loft firm pillow as well.
Down Dreams ® Classic – Soft Pillow https://www.pillows.com/down-dreams-pillows.html
* The Free Fall Sleeper is a very social person who wants to be where the crowd is. Free Fall sleepers may seem like a free spirit but they can secretly have anxiety or a nervous side to them. They can also have a very sensitive personality so be careful with how you criticize them. The mantra of the Free Fall sleeper is “rules control the run”
The great thing about Pillows.com is we have such a large selection of pillows that we will have something for any kind of sleep position. Not sure which one is best for you? Check out our Pillow Finder on our website or contact our bedding experts at Sleepbetter@pillows.com or call